The therapeutic water, at more than 60 degrees
The history of la Garriga is linked to spas, since ancient times and especially during Romanization, of which it preserves vestiges of interest such as the Roman Villa of Can Terrers, declared a Property of National Interest. The urban center of la Garriga was formed around the thermal water, with a water that came out hot, with a temperature higher than 60 degrees Celsius.
The thermal waters have always been used during the different eras, but it was at the beginning of the 20th century when the summer phenomenon put this natural heritage on the rise, due to the fact that the Catalan bourgeoisie chose la Garriga as a holiday destination.
The benefits of thermal waters are due to their mineral content, which can be absorbed by the body.
La Garriga waters are particularly indicated for dermatological conditions, increasing the immune system. They are also indicated for stress due to their sedative and analgesic properties, muscle hypertonia, increased blood flow and conditions of the locomotor system, such as contractures or fractures.
These thermal waters are what supply the spas of la Garriga, consult the Termalisme de la Garriga.
The thermal water is also public, the Hot Well
At Carrer dels Banys 19, you will find “Pou Calent”. A source recovered thanks to a reform of the road that allowed the opening of a hot water catchment that is extracted at a depth of 65 meters at a temperature of 59 degrees. When it reaches the surface, it is below 50 degrees. Currently, 5,000 liters are extracted per hour, but the vein would make it possible to obtain 90,000. The water is classified as unfit for human consumption.
In the 19th century, la Garriga had three public thermal water wells. It was the heyday of spas, and the City Council had to fight to preserve the communal servitude of this one, which was already known as Pou Calent.
He finally succeeded in 1863. Nine years later, however, the well was moved down the street, where it is now. Therefore, the Hot Well that has reached our days was built in 1872, but retains the date of 1863, when its public use was confirmed.
It contains the oldest known representation of the municipal coat of arms, and is proof that thermal water and its uses can also be public.